Sunday, May 3, 2009

Trent Reznor vs. Apple


I enjoy music by the band Nine Inch Nails. I downloaded their iPhone app because I have tickets to an upcoming show & using that app is an interesting way to connect with the rest of the tour.

It seems that Apple rejected a recent update to the NIN iPhone application.

I like what Trent has to say about it & his rationale I believe is well thought out. NIN is one of the few bands that does not self-censor in an effort to placate the likes of Wal-Mart. I think that is to be respected. Apple should not be the self-appointed guardian of Moral Culture any more than Bill O'Reilly should be.

I find it interesting that international law forbids the practice of targetting culture. That covers religion, art and charity. For example, the Taliban destruction of ancient Buddhist statues.

So - in my mind - anyone who sets out as a "Culture Warrior" is intentionally thumbing their nose at international law and the tenets of peace. I think that even qualifies as "crimminal".

No comments: