Friday, October 31, 2008

20081031.0926 AT&T Doublespeak


I mentioned recently in the past that AT&T recently complained that the iPhone is costing them money.

Then I received a troubling text message on my iPhone that read:
"AT&T Free Msg: Unlimited MEdiaNet packages will no longer be available as of 11/12/2008. 1, 5 and 10MB MEdiaNet packages still available. Call 611 for details."

Mind you I did call 611 within minutes.
  1. They make you say your phone number, name and PIN number out loud in order to do business with you. Do NOT try this on a train or in a bus station for example.
  2. The Operator had no idea what I was talking about
  3. They basically informed me that yes I was currently listed on the plan that was being discontinued
  4. I would have to pick another data plan
  5. My "2 year contract" only applies to my end of the contract and they are free to change their mind about what they want to charge me at their whim and if I don't like it I can pay the early termination fee, dry up & blow away.
And then, of course I get this in my email today telling me to go to Starbucks if I want to continue to use the data plan on my iPhone for free. And they include a chapter of the user manual for a 2 minute procedure to follow every time you want to log in to that lovely free service, for your ..ahem.. convenience:

Accessing AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots is easy
Activate Wi-Fi from the settings icon on your iPhone.
Select “attwifi” from the list of available networks.
Enter your 10-digit mobile number and check the box to agree to the Acceptable Use Policy.
Tap “continue.”
You will receive a text message from AT&T with a secure link to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot.
You will not be charged for the text message.
Open the text message and tap on the link for 24-hour access to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot.

No comments: