"Self Styled Anarchist"
Is there any other kind? Is there an "authority" that recognizes only the "official" anarchists?
This is a sound byte that is juicy with derision and pre-judgement. It is as if actually labeling someone simply an 'anarchist' somehow legitimizes them. Instead by calling them 'self styled' it equates to calling them an amateur or a 'wanna-be'.
What I find really very interesting about this particular sound-byte is just how thoroughly it has spread and been adopted in general use in the news-service-newspeak.
Just as an experiment, here is a summary of the first page of results from google, using that term:
- PORTUGAL'S KING ASSAULTED.; A Self-Styled Anarchist Throws a Stone at Him and Misses.
- No flagging: Self-styled anarchist collective ‘stays put’
Anarchist bank robber on trial
- Jonah McGreevy, a self-styled anarchist, wound up in jail for attacking Nationalists and police.
- A Desert Anarchist's Legacy
- MI5's watchdog Kim Howells was an art school anarchist... trailed by the Spooks in his revolutionary student days
- greek anarchists
- Battle Over Gentrification Gets Ugly in S.F.'s Mission - Anarchist arrested, charged with making threats