Monday, April 29, 2013

Pythonista

Having continued in my journey to try to migrate my mindset from that of a Java programmer to one that is Python-centric, I thought that it might be a Good Idea to get a hold of a Python environment for my iPad.

My expectations were very low.  For some reason I just had assumed that Python would get the same treatment as Java - which is to say that any real use would be curtailed, but maybe I could write some code here or there that I could upload to a computer to do something with.

I was shocked and amazed to find that not only does Python run, almost completely, but that it can be used to create GUI-driven iPad applications!

Enter Pythonista - the best $7 that I have spent in a long time.  Within the first day I was tracking multi-touch finger contacts, drawing graphics, using the camera API, performing image manipulation, and playing sound effects.

Mind you, while I am an accomplished Java and perl programmer - I am still a relative n00b to Python - so the idea that I had jumped ahead to performing GUI-based tasks was Very Encouraging.

I think I will stick with this for a while.  Next stop - How do I use Pythonista to drive a mobile connection to a web2py-based application?

No comments: